Save money and energy on gas and electric
Gas and electricity is a major ongoing household expense for many people, however some simply basic steps can dramatically reduce your annual bill, some of these are:
- Never leave electrical items on stand by.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs as these use 80% less energy than conventional old fashioned bulbs.
- Switch off your mobile charge once fully charged, otherwise it will still use up energy.
- Turn down your thermostat by one degree, and you could save £50 a year.
- Ensure radiators have their own thermostat valves fitted and are not covered by curtains.
- Draught proof all external doors, letter box and windows.
- Use a lid when cooking with a saucepan.
- Defrost the freezer regularly so that it works efficiently. Check the energy efficiency rating when buying new electrical appliances.
- Wash clothes at 30°C rather than at 40°C.
- Draw your curtains at night to keep in the warmth.
- Ensure that your loft is well insulated, the initial outlay will save you money in the long term.
- Make full use of Economy 7 or 10 if you have it.
- Dry your washing outside for free.
- Consider cavity wall insulation. You may even be able to get a grant to help towards the cost.
- With the dramatic rise in the cost of gas and electricity, it has never been more important a time to regularly review both your current tariff and supplier. However with there being so many suppliers and tariffs available, the choice can be bewildering. An excellent way to simplify the process is to use a utility comparison site listed here to help make the process a lot easier. By answering a few questions about your current usage, it will search through the tariffs available to you and provide a list of possible savings that you could make. It will even manage the process of changing supplier for you. Remember that being loyal does not normally give the best deal. Your best option is to shop around.